Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Danger Mouse Strikes At Iam8bit!


"You Can't Hide Forever" / 14x18" / watercolor, acrylic & ink on paper

When the gang at Iam8bit asked contributors to their Nickelodeon Studios-themed art show "It's The ShizNICK!" to dig deep for their inspiration, I had no idea just how deep I would go. But in the 11th hour, I mined some creative ore from my early, EARLY childhood -- Danger Mouse!



I'll never forget the exhilaration I felt when the theme song kicked in. I was enthralled, watching DM & Penfold race from their pillar box hideout, flipping, fighting & outsmarting the evil Baron Silas Greenback at every turn! As soon as I began drawing the image, my aim was to bring my love of adventure illustration to this cartoon. Strange to say, but Danger Mouse is as deeply rooted in my well of inspiration as Star Wars, Transformers & Conan The Barbarian. So that's the level of respect I chose to show it, with my piece.


"It's The ShizNICK!" opens at Iam8bit in Los Angeles, next Friday, April 19th. For all the reception & gallery info, visit: www.iam8bit.com/the-gallery/its-the-shiznick. Many of the contributing artists, including myself, will be in attendance. Hope to see you there!

"For all of the time in the world, to spend it wild and unwise. I wanna be mesmerizing, too..."
- Dave "King Gum"Crosland

2 comments:

Admin said...

Cripes DM, I was only talking about that classic toon t'other day! Great interpretation :)

Dave Crosland, aka King Gum said...

Haha! Thanks a bunch. Yeah, seems like Danger Mouse left an indelible mark on a lot of people. I had no idea there were so many of us!